SML Commissioner Posting 2021
Class Title: Commissioner
Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending - Texas
Position Number: FC-SML-01
Opening Date: June 23, 2021
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Starting Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, determined by the Finance Commission of Texas.
Work Location: Austin, TX
Oversees and directs all activities of the Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending. Appointed by, reports to, and serves at the will of the Finance Commission of Texas. Directs the regulation of state-chartered thrift institutions, residential mortgage bankers, residential mortgage companies, residential mortgage servicers, and residential mortgage loan originators doing business in Texas. Directs the Department’s response to consumer complaints regarding regulated entities.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending.
- Support the dual thrift system and the state thrift system by chartering and regulation of thrift institutions in Texas.
- Directs the supervision, examination, monitoring, and regulation of Texas state-chartered thrift institutions.
- Approves or denies thrift institutions applications to charter, merge, branch, change controlling interest, create subsidiary corporations, or engage in new activities.
- Directs the licensing, examination, and regulation of mortgage companies and residential mortgage loan originators doing business in Texas.
- Directs the registration of mortgage bankers and third-party mortgage servicers doing business in Texas.
- Directs the Department’s response to consumer complaints regarding regulated entities.
- Develops, communicates, and revises policies of the Department.
- Coordinates supervisory actions with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), and the Federal Reserve Board (FRB).
- Reviews and approves all interstate acquisitions of and by state-chartered thrift institutions and the establishment of foreign associations.
- Appoints and directs the activities of supervisory agents in state-chartered thrift institutions.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Experience and Education
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year college or university, or comparable experience required.
- Not less than five years’ experience in the executive management of a savings association or savings bank or in savings association or savings bank supervision during the ten years preceding the commissioner’s appointment, according to Section 13.002 of the Texas Finance Code.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of both state and federal statutory frameworks, laws, and regulations applicable to financial institutions and the mortgage industry.
- Knowledge of the thrift and mortgage industries, including a solid understanding of mortgage and other real estate backed investments.
- Working knowledge of related business laws, state open records and administrative procedures statutes, the state credit code, and rules of judicial proceedings.
- Working understanding of both credit and interest rate risks prevalent in lending and investment activities, and related asset/liability management problems and techniques.
- Verbal and written communication skills for effective presentations to a wide range of individuals in positions of public and private leadership, such as industry groups, boards of directors, regulatory oversight groups and commissions, executive and legislative branches of state and national government, and the media.
- Proficient with personal computers, specifically with word processing, spreadsheet, and PowerPoint programs.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are represented of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the incumbent to primarily perform sedentary office work; however, mobility (standing, walking, and lifting) is routinely required to carry out some duties. It requires extensive computer, copiers, printers, telephone, and client/customer/employee contact. The job also requires normal cognitive abilities requiring the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies. It requires the stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions. Marginal or corrected visual, speech and auditory requirements are required for reading printed materials and computer screens and communicating with internal and external customers. The position requires:
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones.
- Frequent sitting.
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
- The position may require additional work hours including evenings, weekends, and/or holidays to meet deadlines.
- The position requires travel in state and out of state.
- The job posting in no way states or implies that the duties listed above are all inclusive.
Final male applicants between the ages of 18 to 26 will be required to furnish proof of registration or exemption from registration with the selective service system.
E-Verify – This organization participates in E-Verify. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Employment offers are contingent upon satisfactory credit and criminal background checks.
Comprehensive healthcare options, State of Texas retirement plan, paid vacation/holidays, Employee Assistance Program, Training/Employee Development Program, and more.
Complete a State of Texas Job application and document how you meet the job requirements, education, and experience. Resumes may be attached but are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Submit Applications to:
Executive Director, Finance Commission, 2601 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin, TX. 78705, or fax to (512) 475-1313, or e-mail to email@example.com. Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on the closing date.
The Department of Saving and Mortgage Lending is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. A disabled individual requiring reasonable accommodation shall not be denied opportunity due to the disability. The applicant should contact Human Resources if reasonable accommodation is required during the application process at (512) 475-1345.